Experience pure dessert indulgence with our red velvet lava cake recipe. It’s rich, smooth, and filled with delicious molten goodness. Get ready for a mouthwatering treat that will leave you wanting more.
With its rich, chocolatey taste and ooey-gooey center, this dessert is the perfect indulgence for any occasion. Whether you’re planning a romantic dinner for two or a festive gathering with friends, this red velvet lava cake is sure to impress your guests.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make this delectable dessert in just a few simple steps.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Grease six ramekins with butter or cooking spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until completely melted and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, red food coloring, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Gradually fold in the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared ramekins, filling each one halfway.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center is still slightly jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Use a butter knife to loosen the edges of the cake from the ramekin, then invert onto a plate.
- Serve immediately with a dusting of powdered sugar or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
How to Prepare
To prepare Red Velvet Lava Cake, you’ll need a few key ingredients and some basic kitchen tools. Begin by preheating your oven and greasing six ramekins with butter or cooking spray. Then, melt the butter and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and whisk the eggs, egg yolks, red food coloring, vanilla extract, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Gradually fold in the dry ingredients and pour the batter into the prepared ramekins.
Bake for 12-14 minutes, then let cool for a minute or two before inverting onto a plate. Serve immediately with powdered sugar or vanilla ice cream.
Preparation time for Red Velvet Lava Cake is approximately 30 minutes, including time to preheat the oven and prepare the batter. The baking time is only 12-14 minutes, so this dessert can be made and served in under an hour.
This recipe makes six servings of Red Velvet Lava Cake, perfect for a small gathering or intimate dinner.
Recommended Reading: 50 Things to Bake Before You Die
Can I use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate for this recipe?
Yes, you can use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate if you prefer a milder chocolate flavor.
Can I make this ahead of time and reheat it later?
While Red Velvet Lava Cake is best served fresh and warm, you can make it ahead of time and reheat it in the microwave for a few seconds to regain its ooey-gooey texture.
Can I use natural food coloring instead of artificial food coloring?
Yes, you can use natural food coloring made from beet juice or pomegranate juice instead of artificial food coloring.
Can I freeze Red Velvet Lava Cake?
Yes, you can freeze the unbaked batter in the ramekins for up to 1 month. When ready to bake, let the batter thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking as directed.
Can I use a different type of flour?
All-purpose flour works best for this recipe, but you can try using a gluten-free flour blend if you prefer.
Red Velvet Lava Cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion, from romantic dinners to family gatherings. With its rich, chocolatey taste and ooey-gooey center, this decadent dessert is sure to impress your guests. Follow this easy-to-follow recipe and indulge in the ultimate sweet treat!
If you enjoyed reading this red velvet lava cake recipe then Click here to subscribe for FREE Cake Decorating Email Course